Yay or Nay: St. Tropez Dark Bronzing Mousse

8:00 AM


I'm a self-tanaholic.  After two years of using a tanning bed, I stuck to being pasty for three years.  Then my Mom introduced me to the St. Tropez's bronzing mousse line.  I started with the original formula, you can read my review and how to apply here.  But I wanted to be a little darker in Dallas.  So I decided to buy the dark formula this time around, here are the big differences.

{price and size} Right off the bat the difference you see before you even buy the product is the price.  The original formula will run you $42 for 8 oz.  The dark formula costs $44 for a smaller 6 oz.  Yep, more money and less product if you go dark.


{application} The process of application is the same as the original, using the mitt.  The dark takes longer to blend in evenly.  When you apply it, don't freak out if you look like the wicked witch for the night.  The dark color comes onto your skin semi-green.  You can't exactly leave the house after you apply, unlike the original that I would often put on right after my shower to get ready to go out for the night.

{after shower}  After the 8 hour darkening period, you take a shower and rinse off the green-ness.  And bam you're tan.  But the tan isn't the same as the original, it looks more olive, which is nice for a natural look.


{how long}  I typically apply my tanner on Thursday night after I take a bath and exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate.  This way I'll be tan for the weekend.  When I use the original formula my tan would typically stay until Tuesday.  But when using the dark, the length of tan is shorter.  Normally, by Sunday night I've lost my tan or I'm patchy.


So which is better?  Honestly, they both have their pros and cons.  If you want to be tanner for just the weekend, go dark.  If you want a tan that lasts a few days longer, go original.  Either way the St. Tropez bronzing mousse is one of the best self-tanners out there and is worth the price without question. But, if I had to buy one, it would be the dark formula due to the deeper more natural tan.  Have a great Tuesday!

You Might Also Like

21 comments